Ava Grace's Closet: Friday Favourites : Surviving Winter in Toronto
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, March 8, 2019

Friday Favourites : Surviving Winter in Toronto

This has been one of the coldest winters on record here in Toronto - or definitely for as long as I can remember. And, maybe it's just me, but the older I get? The LESS I can handle the cold. or excessive heat for that matter. My skin has suffered a lot this year - and I won't even get started on my nasal passages and how ridiculously dry they've been. (please know that I had a central humidifier installed last year - ahem. I digress) 

Alas, I've had to come up with a save your skin solution and I must admit, it's improved as the seemingly never-ending winter continues. And now, with Spring on the horizon, I think I've finally mastered my approach - leave it to me to figure that out just as the warmer weather approaches.

Here is my current regime. Some of these products have been on my must-have list for some time (and I'll tell you, I'm not very product loyal so if it's here? It is GOOD)

On the daily, both morning + night, I use this mix of high and low priced products. I combine The Ordinary Moisturizer {$7.70 for 100ml} with SkinMedica Lytera Pigment Brightening Serum {$154}. My skin stays supple AND the latter has worked wonders on pigmentation spots on my forehead and below my cheeks.

For my lips, my tried + true Skinceuticals Antioxidant Lip Repair {$38.00}. I actually won this on a blog giveaway and it has lasted FOREVER. Anyone who tries it, loves it. To be blunt, nothing else works consistently. Except for this. Full stop.

For my body, which is in DESPERATE need of some colour, I have been super faithful to Body Blur by Vita Liberata {$50.00}. It isn't cheap. and I likely go through about 4 of these a year. That said, it provides the most amazing glow - and is super natural looking. I love this product and recommend it to anyone who will listen.

If you came to my office today, you would find this bottle of Avene Thermal Spring Water {$10.00} on it. Always. I spray throughout the day and it not only refreshes and softens my skin but it gets bonus points for keeping me awake when the day drags! #truth

And last, but certainly not least, my base line-up du jour. I'm using the highly-recommended (by every single who's who in make up) Jouer Essential High Coverage Liquid Concealer {$22.00} which I am absolutely loving. I apply this first with a large flat brush followed by an application of The Ordinary Serum Foundation {$8.00!!} using my beauty blender. DO NOT get discouraged by the low price point - this has lovely sheer coverage but somehow hides imperfections as well. Definitely a new favourite that I will be re-purchasing. (that almost never happens!)

So - tell me, any other skin saving secrets I might be missing?
Is it cold where you live?

#brrrr
xo 

5 comments :

  1. Dearest Susan,
    Your line where you wrote having a central humidifier installed last year, had me puzzled... Guess you also have air conditioning or not? One thing that most people don't understand about air conditioning is that it always (automatically) de-humidifies the air. So putting a central humidifier would not serve any purpose... Just wondering.
    Yes, taking care of our skin is a must throughout this 'drying' winter environment inside our homes. A warm bath or shower, also dehydrates our skin. Always drinking plenty of water aside from using some good products!
    Great post and I'm like you, using all sorts of creams and if I need one, no telling what I will purchase next. I'm kind of hooked now on the products that the Fairmont Hotels in Canada use. Will soon order their shampoo and conditioner! Le Labo Rose31 it is...
    We are lucky for having had a very mild winter. But very wet and rain is so boring and dark and gloomy days is something I hate.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ms. Mariette!

      Oh the harsh winters here in Toronto have really done a number - especially this year! We need central humidifiers (and often portable ones in upstairs bedrooms) during the winter as the central heating rises and dries the air. Remember, it has gone as low as -35 with windchill! YIKES.

      I try to drink lots of water - very hard for me! And yes to great products - I've been using the combination above and it is quite lovely. Funny that you love a product at Fairmont in Canada! It's a wonderful line -

      Sending love + hugs!
      Susan

      Delete
  2. Hi, I wanted to ask if you would recommend magnolia boutique? I came across their site and I remember in a previous post you mentioned this online site. Definitely nice items, wasn't sure if it's a true reflection of the quality you would receive. Ant feedback would be appreciated .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda! I collaborated with Magnolia Boutique for many years and have quite a few items still. The quality would be equivalent to I would say - H&M or Zara. The owner, (also a Susan!) is absolutely lovely and stands behind her product. Give them a try for sure! Hope that helps.

      Delete

I love reading every last one. Thanks so much for stopping by our little blog. xo.