Ava Grace's Closet: Enjoying the Simple Things
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, July 31, 2020

Enjoying the Simple Things

It's been a little quiet around these parts - we've been focused on staying home.
Staying together.
Funny. When this pandemic was announced and we went into quarantine - I could never have imagined that it would have gone on for this long. That 4 months later, not very much has changed.
And I definitely couldn't imagine that I might one day miss this time.

It's become what some might call the "new norm". But not in the way the media is using the term.
It's become the new norm for my little family.
We're home. We're together. We have learned what's truly important. And it lies between these four walls.
I think in some odd way, we've all begun to rely on each other more.
We expect dinner to be together.
We check more if any one of us is not here.
We are just together. 

I've always been a big proponent of the little things. The simples of things.
Have always believed that therein lies the magic of memories.
Here's a test -
Think about your very favourite childhood memory.
The one you never forget; the one that if you close your eyes, you can almost remember the feeling of being there. 
For me, the fondest memories are of weeknight trips to get ice cream with my dad. Sharing a Dairy Queen banana split. 
Sunday at the beach with family - if I close my eyes, I can almost taste the peaches my mom would hand out that I would enjoy while lying on a beach towel. (and brushing sand out of my mouth that got there from hours spent digging + no one telling me to wash my hands)
The point here is that I feel we try so hard to do these extraordinary things with our children. 
Vacations, extended day trips, staying at the best hotels - and all of these things are well and good (and I love them!) but the magic?
The magic is in the simple things.




Let's never forget.
God help us if this time hasn't taught us anything.
xo

3 comments :

  1. Dearest Susan,
    You are so very right about enjoying and memorizing the simplest things.
    Those do stay with us, for as long as we breath.
    For me it were the outings on a Sunday, as a complete family together and the picknick in the woods or at the water. When Mom managed to pack in individual fruit pies with apricot and such. They never tasted any better than right there - together!
    Lovely photos of you and Ava Grace at the strawberry patch!
    Stay well and close as a family.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny isn't it how we remember the smallest of things as memories we will never forget. Love that. Thank you my dear friend. xox

      Delete

I love reading every last one. Thanks so much for stopping by our little blog. xo.