Ava Grace's Closet: Twenty
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Twenty

My beautiful Izzy,
I could stare at this photograph all day long.
To me, it represents exactly how I see you - such innocence with just the slightest hint of mischief.

Today is your twentieth birthday.
TWENTY.
I can hardly believe it.
Yesterday I told you it was your very last day being a teenager.
You laughed.
But you see, it's true. You will never be as young as you were yesterday {or today} ever again.
Cherish that youth.
Do all that you want to do.
Live with no regrets. 
And remember my beautiful girl, everything - good or bad - is temporary.

I remember when you were 15. 16. 17.
You thought I was so hard on you.
Never letting you go to parties - imposing a pretty early curfew by your {ahem} friends standards.
I was always extra worried it's true.
Trying to protect you from danger but also, trying to ensure that you did things at the right time.
When I believed you were old enough to handle it.
And that you would not regret it later when the time was indeed "right" and you had already exhausted all that fun.
You brought it up recently and told me I wasn't wrong in doing so. That you saw that now.
Saw yourself how quickly young kids grow up.
And how fleeting childhood really is.
I'm so glad for that. 

Today my love - today, you are officially an adult.
And I think if I asked you if it was different than you imagined - wishing back then so desperately to grow up - today, you would say yes.
You might even wish for the days of no responsibility.
When your biggest worry was where to have your next birthday party.
Lord knows I do.
You have your entire life ahead of you - some of the best years of that life still to come.
The chance to follow your dreams. Love who you want. And be whoever it is that you want to be.
 I will encourage you always.
And will be there to catch you when you fall.

A mother's love is like no other.
You have learned this I believe - especially in the last few years.
I may get frustrated - I may say things you don't want to hear - I may even do things you will never understand.
But never, NEVER does it mean that I love you less.
The most important job I have? 
Is the job of being your mother.
And when I look at you? 
I think my work is done.
I love you my sweet girl.
Happiest of Birthdays to you.
xox
mama

1 comment :

  1. Dearest Susan,
    LOVE it when you right your thoughts from the heart, just pure and like you feel them.
    Special poetry for years to come, to be treasured more and more as age will add up in numbers.
    Time goes so scarily FAST! Can't we stop it for a moment, hold on to it a bit longer, to inhale for our soul to continue to the next fase? Guess it will always be like that.
    We had a very happy time in Canada, as Pieter said, his BEST vacation ever. Made me very happy.
    Compliments to your great country. Every 4 days more posts are coming.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete

I love reading every last one. Thanks so much for stopping by our little blog. xo.