Ava Grace's Closet: What to Wear : After Baby
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

What to Wear : After Baby

Today, I'm sharing a guest post that I previously shared on Hanna's blog after the birth of her 3rd baby.
Maybe I'm feeling melancholy for those post-baby days {strange, I know!} since my own "baby" turns 15 this month. 

I thought it would be fun to share my fashion must-haves for after-baby.
Lord knows I struggled through my first including thinking I could wear my jeans home from the hospital. Truth.
But by the third time around? I'm almost an expert in looking somewhat half-decent while your body still really belongs to someone else. 


What to Wear : After Baby

1. I nursed all 3 babes for a full year. And never bought into the "nursing top" trend. Shirts {especially soft denim} with buttons were both easy to wear AND provided easy access for baby. 
This vintage one by Madewell is super-soft and the perfect shade. Sadly, it's sold out. This one is similar + pretty as well.

2. Pashminas. I never left home without one. It hid leakage when there was any and doubled as a nursing cover if I had to nurse on the fly. Which I did. A lot. 


3. A loose fitting cardigan that doubles as a jacket. This one {which is stunning + overpriced} by eskandar is sold out. Less expensive and equally pretty options here + here


4. Maternity tanks from H + M Mama. 

Secret? I still wear mine all.the.time. and my Ava is 3. They are extra long and perfectly stretchy. 

5. Leggings. No explanation required. You will understand. 


6. Lip balm {one of my favorites is this one by eos}. Even though you will find you will be thirstier than you have ever been before and may or may not drink your weight in water, for some reason, your lips will still be dry. This helps. 


7. Ballet flats. Easy to slip on and off if you're carrying a sleeping babe from the car upstairs. And super comfy. 

I like the idea of a bright colored pair to give you a little je ne sais quoi. 

8. Dainty jewelry if any at all. I never wore a watch because I felt like I could hurt their tiny heads. Can you imagine a spiked bracelet? Bangles? Yeah, not a good idea. 

This one is so pretty and I love the sentiment. 
I also think it would make a lovely gift from daddy, non?

Any post-baby fashion must-haves I missed? 

How long did it take you to get back into your groove?

9 comments :

  1. This looks like a great outfit at any point in your life, but after baby? For sure! Great picks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is exactly my style. Only 17 years ago for me!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heck yeah! A slouchy sweater or oversized shirt and leggings were my post baby uni...Actually, it's still my fall uni. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is going to sooo helpful come january after i have this baby, stuff like leaking i would have never thought about so thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love your list!! and i like that it actually has clothes and not sweat pants ... which is probably what i would have posted :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect tips! I need to forward this to my best friend who is due in a month! I know she hates looking like a bag after she has had a baby!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dearest Susan,
    Some very great tips like the Pashmina and the button down; practicality first! You are so right about spiky jewelry, we have to be careful when handling babies. Guess that would cure (hopefully) a lot of young women that used to wear spiky things when nursing their baby.
    Hats off to you for breast feeding your babies! Breastfeeding has been linked to higher IQ scores in later childhood in some studies. Just one of the many benefits: http://www.webmd.com/parenting/baby/breastfeeding-9/nursing-basics
    Your 3 babies are so fortunate for having such a beautiful and above all, SANE Mama!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect tips! I am hoping I need your tips in a few short months-haha

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great choices ... even for those of us who are not mama's these are great tips for the bloating days when comfort is not always the stylish clothes one picks. xo C. (HHL)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading every last one. Thanks so much for stopping by our little blog. xo.