Ava Grace's Closet: On Father's Day
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, June 18, 2012

On Father's Day

I admit it.
I compared and still compare every man to my father.
Many of my fondest childhood memories have him doing something, no matter how small, to make the every day special.
He would often bring me a little token from the day. It might just be a candy bar but it was his way of letting me know he had thought of me. 
He came home and slipped it into "my drawer" in the kitchen.
First thing I always did for as long as I can remember is say hello and then race to the drawer to see if there was anything there.
My father on the right.
He was not the disciplinarian.
I don't think he has it in him.
He would complain. But he would never.ever say anything.
I know he worried a lot when I was growing up.
But he never said anything about it. Not to me anyway.
Isn't he handsome? And thin! He must have been about 20 or 21 here. 
He was the dad who always up to driving us everywhere.
And he never complained about all the drop offs. Regardless of how many stops he had to make. And some nights there were many.
He was the one who would always say ok to a trip to McDonald's or Dairy Queen. With neighbourhood kids in tow.
To this day, a banana split ALWAYS reminds me of him. 
And in later years, I often returned the childhood favor by bringing one over to him so that we could share it.
Honestly? The banana split is not my favorite.
But it's his making it alright by me.
His happy place. On the lake, any lake.
He has put on {ahem} a little weight over the years.
It may or may not be all those banana splits.
And I don't need a ride anymore.
But I am still a daddy's girl.
Always will be.

Happy Father's Day dad! 

14 comments :

  1. Such a wonderful post to your father! There is that magical relationship between fathers/daughters isn't there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Susan,

    That is a lovely ode to your Father!
    Their are so many facial features visible that have been passed down even to the third generation. You could morph two faces for seeing it clearly.
    Have a wonderful week ahead.
    Love,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  3. awwwwww super sweet post!! It is amazing the little things we remember about people or what reminds us of them!! love that second photo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very sweet. I feel the same way about my dad. How lucky we are!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I'm a Daddy's girl for sure - and yours is so handsome! Love this post:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what a sweet and handsome Daddy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is just beautiful!!! I love that he took you to McDonald's or Dairy Queen....he sounds like a great dad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So very sweet. You always write the best things on your parents. Love reading them! You are an awesome daughter. :)
    xoxoxo, Steph

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful letter. I always get so sentimental reading notes like these. He sounds like a wonderful man who loves his baby girl so much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is very inspiring and a wonderful way to show your dad what an inspiration he has been to you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahhh, what a cutie he is! I love that he had little surprises for you! My dad does that with my kids a lot (we live on the same street) and they love it!! So special! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. He is so handsome! I loved reading this!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading every last one. Thanks so much for stopping by our little blog. xo.