Ava Grace's Closet: The End of an Era

Monday, March 4, 2013

The End of an Era

 A change is comin'.
My mother.in.law, after 35+ years in the pasta and fine food industry, officially "retired" last week. 
For those of you who have visited, Pasta Gourmet has officially been sold.
Her beloved recipes have been documented from where they originally came from, her heart. These have been passed along so that her adored customers can continue to have a piece of what was. 
I hope that the new owners appreciate the history. The love that goes into creating each and every dish.
It was always evident when you visited the store. 
Rita bustling around doing her best to greet every customer that entered. 
They all knew her by name and she made every one of them feel special. 
She really did. 
I came across this article recently and wanted to share this excerpt:
So, on my way back from Newstalk 1010, I popped into the wonderfully aromatic Pasta Gourmet in the Humbertown Plaza. This is a beloved mainstay of the community and it's home to elegant italian comfort food, like soups and pastas, salads, entrees, sandwiches, and so much more, all homemade. Owner Rita Liberatore (who hails from Le Marche region of Italy) is at the helm and her motherly touch can be seen - and tasted - everywhere.
{source: here}

Today, in the spirit of motherly love, I pass along one of my favorites from the store. And home. 
You can't help but feel the love in a bowl of this goodness.

Rita's Homemade Broth
Ingredients:
1 whole chicken
2 medium onions
2 medium carrots
3 stalks of celery
1 28 oz cans of peeled tomatoes
2 chicken bouillon cubes
Salt to taste

Fill a large pot with water, adding all ingredients and bring to a rolling boil. Reduce heat and cook for one hour. In the last 10 minutes of cooking time, add bouillon cubes.
Strain.
Add your favorite noodle and a good sprinkling of parmesan cheese.

I make this simple but delicious recipe weekly. This recipe will yield enough for dinner and leave lots left over for the freezer. 
Seriously amazing and it seems to magically cure any illness. 

I know Rita will be sadly missed, of that I am sure. 
It's the end of an era.
A new chapter begins for this amazing woman starting now.
Here's hoping she enjoys every new adventure!
This post is dedicated in loving memory of my husband's Aunt Pina who passed away on Saturday morning after a lengthy battle with pancreatic cancer. She, too, was an amazing, loving woman. I will miss her. 

.

18 comments :

  1. She is gorgeous. I hope her next chapter is full of all things beautiful and incredible.
    I'm sorry about the loss of your husband's aunt. : (

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post - I grew up just a few blocks from Humbertown, so I know your mother-in-laws place well.
    My thoughts are with your family Susan, lots of love xo
    Kendall

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a wonderful tribute to clearly a wonderful woman. I love comfort food and would have loved to visit her restaurant. It's a shame her children didn't take over the "family" business.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a sweet post! My mom in law just retired in January... She's enjoying her adventure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, i'm sure she has many fun adventures ahead of her!! mmm must try that recipe!!

    xo,
    Sandy
    Sandy a la Mode

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting for her. I'm sure it's bittersweet. But, a door closed is a door opened and I'm sure she has so much to look forward to. She sounds like an amazing woman with such talent!
    www.shannonheartsblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful tribute!! So does this mean you have to cook as well as this woman?

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry for your family's loss! But so exciting for your MIL's reitrement! Thanks for sharing the recipe- it looks delicious! New follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wishing the best for your MIL as she embarks on her new adventure of retirement. It sounds like she is well loved and the her legacy will live on through the new owners!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry for your loss. Her glasses are gorgeous on her, congrats for her!
    Coffee Beans and Bobby Pins

    Mary Nichol Handbag Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Una buena receta, la realizaré!!
    Saludos
    http://judithbysucre.blogspot.com.es

    ReplyDelete
  13. awww bittersweet! my husband and i have pipe dreams of opening a food/bakery one day...:)

    love her stock recipe! i have never heard of tomatoes being thrown in there! I am so trying this!!

    sorry about your loss friend :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think it's awesome to share this recipe. Think of all the people who will be making this dish for years to come. What a legacy to leave behind.
    Best wishes to your

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope that the new owners keep your mother's recipes and traditions alive. Thank you for sharing her recipe for other's to make at home who never got to experience her heart felt dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post! Hopefully the new show owners will do justice to her recipes.


    Stopping by from VB.
    xoxo,
    Khloe
    www.kgstyleblogs.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. it is so you and I love it

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh wow, she sounds amazing! Thanks for the recipe share, you know I'll make it!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading every last one. Thanks so much for stopping by our little blog. xo.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...