Ava Grace's Closet: In.Spired Series ~ F.L.A.G.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

In.Spired Series ~ F.L.A.G.


in.spired 

  1. Of extraordinary quality, as if arising from some external creative impulse.
  2. (of a person) Exhibiting such a creative impulse in the activity specified: "an inspired gardener".
The blogging community is full of so many incredible women. Women who are far more creative than I. And have amazing stories to share. 
This is one of them.

Who better to share with you on this, Valentine's Day, than someone that I actually LOVE! My dear friend Monica ~ a person who cares enough about the girls back home in the Philippines that she and her husband make sure they are receiving the one thing that could make a difference to them :: an education.

Hi everyone! Hmm, what can I say? I just turned 40, am mother to 2 teenage boys (yes I had them when I was 12 J) and have been with my hubby for 20 years.  You can say we are in the "nesting phase".  After working for almost 20 years, it was time for me to go (“they” let me go). I was Relieved. Confused. Excited. Anxious. All rolled up into one.
Being a mom to 2 teenage boys is not easy.  I am definitely the “hard @ss” mom and I wouldn’t change a thing. They are my world. I do like fashion, nice things and all the girly stuff.  I enjoy baking, cooking, reading, watching movies. My husband is my partner, friend, companion I would say for life.  We have been together through good times and bad (really bad).  I must say at this point in our lives, we have never been more grateful, blessed and happy.
What am I doing now?  2 years ago, my husband and I had a life changing moment when we decided to change our lifestyle, our vision and goals to start a school for underprivileged girls in the Philippines where we are from.  It was the most rewarding, unselfish and brave thing we have done in our lives and we are so glad we did it.  With support from our family and friends, today we are making a difference for  23 girls who would have never have had a chance. EVER.  They continue to change our lives more than we are changing theirs.
What’s next for us?  Our goal is to grow F.L.A.G. {Fundamental Learning Academy for Girls} and help many more underprivileged girls who currently live on the streets.  Raise funds, awareness and contribute to society to eliminate poverty through education. Build a business to employ parents so they can be responsible and accountable for their children. Be a mentor and friend. Give hope to others as this will be their chance.
What's next for me? Vacation with my husband, visit the school and travel with my mother. They say ''find yourself"...not sure what that really means. I can feel I am starting to know who I am.  I will not try to please others to look for acceptance.  Will try to always be grateful.  Be closer to my husband, my sisters and especially my boys. I want to be have a small part in this universe to say I have done something. Unselfishly.  Leave this world behind knowing my boys will continue our mission to help others.

Now, if that isn't an inspiration, I don't know what is. Please, take a moment to learn more about   these sweet girls, their amazing stories and this incredible cause by visiting F.L.A.G. here or on facebook here. You can also follow along on twitter here.
Thanks for being here today dear friend! 
xo

7 comments :

  1. What an amazing charity!! I can see why she inspires you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you my friend.. happy hearts day!! I am humbled to be in your series this week..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very inspiring. I'll have to check out F.L.A.G.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was bragging about you at work today, Mon! Great catching up with you yesterday. I am so proud of everything you have done for these girls. You are Philipina Oprah!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan, You are right ... this was a perfect post and inspiring lady! Monica ... you are creating yourself! and helping to truly make a difference in the world ..Bless you many times over! Happy Valentine's day xo HHL

    And to you my friend... may you have a wonderful day filled with hearts, love and laughter ...xo Blessings, Celia (HHL)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will not please others for acceptance...spot on. Do things for you. You are the main character of your life.
    You are definitely inspirational.
    And so deserve that vacation!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such an amazing and inspiring story! I love it!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading every last one. Thanks so much for stopping by our little blog. xo.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...